Friday, April 20, 2012

Flimsy Little Book

Happy weekend! I got my weekend started off right with a little craft project. I was daydreamin' earlier this week about making a book from scratch to keep all my blog post ideas in. I wanted something small and flimsy so it would fit in my over-filled purse or in the small shoulder bags I like to take on walks. Here's what I came up with...
I cut a bunch of pieces of paper to the size I wanted and made titles out of magazine clippings for each subject. I always love how mismatched magazine letters turn out!
I chose some cardstock and a picture I like from a magazine for the front cover. I love the look of paper and stitching, so I used embroidery floss to stitch on the picture and to emphasize the text. It helps to place the cover on carpet and pre-poke the holes so you don't hurt your finger trying to push through the cardstock with each stitch.
Poking my needle through the stack of paper for the binding proved to be pretty much impossible even when I tried going one page at a time, so I figured it would work better to grab a hammer and a nail. It worked! Just make sure to have a block of wood underneath. 
Here's how it turned out! I love how the butterfly ended up landing on the tail of "Lady." Totally didn't plan that... Now I'm super excited to write out all my daydreams! Do you all jot down your ideas, whatever they may be? Have a great weekend. 

2 comments:

  1. Very cool! What you can do with time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I love learning how to make things we usually go out and buy! It's usually a heck of a lot cheaper... :D

      Delete